The International League of Dermatological Societies - Latest news
| ILDS World Skin Summit Report
We are delighted to share with you this report on the 2nd ILDS World Skin Summit, held 10-12 June 2018 in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
We were pleased to welcome the leadership of so many ILDS Members to what was a truly global event. The 113 participants were from 40 countries. Almost 70% of the delegates were from the Asia Pacific; Latin America; and South Asia, the Middle East and African regions.
The programme included five plenary sessions and four workshop sessions. Through the Summit members shared information on dermatological issues relevant to them and provided useful insights and shared learning on how challenges could be addressed.
This report shares highlights of the Summit and a summary of the themes and topics addressed during the event along with some delegate reflections on the Summit. Delegates had many recommendations to take ILDS’ work forwards which are being considered and which will inform the development of our future plans.
We extend our sincere thanks to ILDS Members who gave generously of their time and expertise to chair and present during the event. And last, but certainly not least, our thanks to all the delegates for sharing your experiences, expertise and perspectives. We would like to thank each and every one of you for your enthusiasm and commitment to our collective vision of skin health for the world.
| World Skin Health Day 2018
This year societies from all over the world have been planning World Skin Health Day activities; from social media campaigns to providing treatment to rural communities. There's still time to take part and join the list below.
- American Academy of Dermatology - social media campaign as part of National Healthy Skin Month
- Brazilian Society of Dermatology - leprosy prevention campaign
- Canadian Dermatology Association - public skin screening to promote skin health and skin cancer awareness
- Chinese Society of Dermatology - free consultations and skin health education in rural areas as part of Skin Care Day
- Dermatological Society of Singapore - public awareness raising campaign on sun protection and skin cancer detection, skin care in eczema, facial pigmentation, eczema, hair loss, skin infections and psoriasis, to name a few.
- Dermatology Nurses' Association - providing educational material providing simple information and skin care tips to dermatology patients
- Indian Association of Dermatologists, Venereologists and Leprologists - held press conferences, clinics, health education programmes, TV and radio talks, rallies and social media campaigns
- New Zealand Dermatological Society - providing free skin checks
- Philippine Dermatological Society - ran a "Skin Heath and Eczema Fair"
- Swiss Society of Dermatology and Venereology - skin cancer campaign
| ILDS DermLink 2018
We were pleased to see an increase in the number of ILDS DermLink applications submitted this year, more than double the number received in 2017. There were so many interesting projects submitted this year that we are looking to grow the programme in the future.
Applications were made under three categories; materials and equipment, individual training, and field or community projects. 2018's successful projects are listed below.
Materials and Equipment
- Purchase of AV equipment to enhance the learning experience of students and patients both inside a clinical setting and in the field (Sri Lanka College of Dermatologists)
- Purchase of a cryotherapy liquid nitrogen container and binocular microscope to diagnose and treat fungal and parasitic infections (Caribbean Dermatology Association)
- Attendance at an HIV and STI training programme to improve diagnosis and treatment (Philippine Dermatological Society)
- Support to study Dermatopathology (Society of Dermatologists, Venereologists and Leprologists of Nepal)
Field or Community Projects
- To improve the lives of people with leprosy through education, treatment and research (Indian Association of Dermatologists, Venereologists and Leprologists)
- An educational programme to reduce the prevalence of scabies being transmitted in secondary school populations (Nigerian Association of Dermatologists)
| Meet the ILDS Board
| Jean Bolognia
Jean Bolognia joined the ILDS Board in 2011 as an International Director. She is the Secretary-General of the ILDS and is Vice-Chair of the Executive Committee.
Gain a better understanding of how she supports the ILDS as well as why she is one of our staunch advocates.
| WCD Milan 2019
WCD 2019 is nearer than ever and we are delighted to share the details of the Distinguished Lectureship Speakers, who are global experts in important medical and scientific issues relevant to dermatology. You can also read about the Keynote Lectureships which will be from leading dermatologists who will be presenting state-of-the-art lectures on topics in dermatology.
| WCD 2019 Scientific Programme Announced
The full Scientific Programme for the 2019 World Congress of Dermatology is available now. See all the sessions and start planning your schedule. There are 43 topics to explore, from; acne, rosacea, and related disorders to LGBT Health. We look forward to welcoming you to Milan next year.
| David Pariser
David Pariser joined the ILDS Board in 2011 as a USA & Canada Regional Director and has served on the Executive Committee and as Vice-Chair of the Finance and Fundraising Committee.
Learn why he is passionate about the work of the ILDS and how you can make a difference too.
| WCD 2023
As we approach the 24th World Congress of Dermatology (WCD) in Milan next year we are already preparing for WCD 2023. Each of the 6 Candidate Cities has written a Letter to ILDS Members, all of which will be shared on the ILDS website. You will find them in the 'News' section.
They will be published every fortnight over the next 2 months.
| New Members
The ILDS warmly welcomes the following societies to the ILDS community.
- Associazione Dermatologica Ionica
- Australasian Society of Dermatologic Research
- Egyptian Society of Dermatology and Venereology
- Mexican Society of Dermatological Cosmetic and Laser
- Tanzania Society for Dermatovenereology